Skip to main content

Pilgrimage



Rosemary. Sage. Thyme.




An embroidered cloth which belonged to Richard's grandmother.




Collection of second-hand dishes which have become 
our seasonal treasures.
















Cranberry Salad











Preparing Thanksgiving Punch





Working on our "Thankful Tree"









Crayon "bark" gets caught under our fingernails.


The finished product.





Complete with resident cardinal. (Painted by 9 year old artist)

















Awaiting the feast.
(Indian corn napkin holders are also the work of young artist)


Turkey Rolls

Ready to "gobble" it up!





Sweet feet.



Happy, even though he's too young for solids.




Sisters







More sweet feet.




Love.



     Many, many years ago, they left everything they'd ever known for the hope of creating something else. Something they believed would be better for them and their families. Two children were born during their long journey and given names to signify the experiences their families had endured: Oceanus  and  Peregrine. "Ocean" and "Wanderer".

     I've never traveled on a boat. I don't know what it's like to have the laws of your country restrict the way you worship. And I've never had to grow my own food for survival. Compared to those courageous pilgrims who ventured across the ocean, my life looks pretty prosperous, and very secure. But I have traversed some stormy seas in my time. I've had my principles challenged by law and by popular beliefs now and then. I'm no green thumb, but 11 years practice in the kitchen has taught me a thing or two about how to feed a growing family.  I have no need of leaving my home, carting my family to any distant land of promise.
But, I am a Pilgrim. Everyday I set out on a voyage of discovery and exploration. Everyday, I give thanks for the blessings of life, family, love, and - most of all - hope. For without hope, nothing else is possible.
    Every dawn is the beginning of another journey. Some days the skies are heavy with threatening, gray clouds and we are tossed on choppy waters. Others, we glide tranquilly towards the shores of bliss. But always, we are sailing into unknown territory. Always, we are making history. Day by day, minute by minute, we choose which direction we'll take and what sights we will see. And who we will become.
     What course will you chart today?




Campbell Family
November 2013



Comments

  1. Your words gave me chills. So well said. And your feast was beautiful. I especially like the embroidered tablecloth from Richard's grandmother. What a treasure. So grateful to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What compliments! I appreciated your kind words so much. Arianne.
    I knew you'd like that cloth, too! I thought of you when I was photographing it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The joys of life taste sweeter when they're shared. Please share your joy by leaving me a comment. I love to hear your stories-- the joys as well as the sorrows.
Thanks for reading mine!

--- Bethany

Popular Posts

Right Here

    The first month of a new year is past.     2014 started off with a bang for me. I love beginnings. I love the clarity and and anticipation involved in mapping out your dreams. I was looking forward to some exciting topics of focus for our homeschool, some intellectual growth with a college statistics class I've enrolled in, and more consistency with a "date night" for me and Richard. I was both excited and concerned after Christmas when Richard told me the Bishop would like to meet with me.      In my church, the leader of the congregation (our Bishop) is the one responsible to extend certain assignments to members. We refer to them as "callings" since he makes the decisions prayerfully, seeking inspiration from the Lord to know who should do what within the ward (or congregation). I'd already been serving as a teacher for a class of children, aged 4-5 years old and was eagerly anticipating the changes of a new year which would place my n...

Under Construction

     Faithful readers, my blog is not all I wish it to be at this time. I have a hundred ideas jostling around inside my head; dreams of what this space could be, what it could offer. But the blogging world is still so new to me. My intentions require patience in their realization. So please forgive this awkward in-between stage as I learn my way around here.       I'd like to invite your feedback and suggestions. Please leave a comment telling me what you'd be interested in seeing on the blog, what features you'd recommend or if you've had trouble viewing it thus far, etc. Don't be shy! Go on and share your opinion.        Thanks for your help, my friends!

Stillwater Wisdom

  "This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson I am a contradiction. Spontaneous and thoughtful. Energetic, yet reserved. Dreamy, though realistic. Bubbly, but at the same time, grounded. I'm sure most of you have felt the same way at times. It makes for some interesting inner dialogue. And it's not about good vs. evil - I'm not referring to the light and dark in each of us. Just the simple quirks of personality which make our lives interesting, though sometimes irritating. You see, I'm not philosiphizing over moral issues so much as attempting to choose the best of the many good things that are at my fingertips. In this information age, the vast opportunities we have can be both a blessing and a curse. Friday is open. Should I take the kids to that new indoor playground to let them release some of that pent-up winter energy? Or maybe we could spend the day inside building a pillow fort? Oh...