How to Live through a pandemic
With the closure of many schools and workplaces, I see a lot of posts about the difficulty of being with our kids and family more than usual lately. I totally get it (I'm a homeschooling mom of eight -- believe me, I get it!). So what I say is not meant to shame anyone or heap more guilt upon weary souls. But I want to state very clearly my beliefs on this matter -- even if I have trouble practicing what I preach at times.
When our patience is wearing thin and we find ourselves pining for a return to normalcy, remember this: God gave you these children. He didn't give them to the school teacher, or the district administrator, the childcare expert, or the pediatrician. They are your divine charge for "wise purposes, which purposes are known unto the Lord." (1 Ne. 19:3). So instead of fretting over our supposed inadequacies, or complaining about the sacrifices involved, why not turn to the Lord to learn a bit more about these "wise purposes"? Amidst the required online lessons and frantic midday meals you may be unaccustomed to preparing, don't neglect tuning in to #hearhim. He has plans for you and those precious, exhausting little humans. It may just be that all this chaos is His way of trying to get our attention.
The choice is ours.
Will we grit our teeth and gripe our way through this experience, only to exhale a sigh of relief when we finally hand our children back over to the "experts" and things return back to normal?
Or, will we allow our hearts to be changed through this experience? Can we open ourselves up to the possibility that "normal" needs to change? Can we accept that if we are to accomplish those great and wise purposes, we may want to make some adjustments to the way we live our lives?
It's my hope not only to live through this pandemic, but to live more intentionally because of it. The need for social-distancing may subside eventually. But the need to distance ourselves from any influence which degrades or undermines the family and the sacred role of parents will only increase. I intend to keep my distance from such distractions and focus my sights on Him. I don't want to miss out on those wise purposes just because they ran contrary to my current "normal".
So I wash my hands of complaining. I inoculate myself against the diseases of entitlement and apathy. I'm taking responsibility for my own spiritual health. And if that means I have to work a little harder than I'm used to, or give up a few more conveniences than I thought, then so be it. I'd rather endure the trials of close quarters and needy children than forfeit these rights and privileges to another. I'd rather embrace the experience and allow my heart to be broken, than steel it against the beautiful lessons He desires to teach me.
I don't want normal. I want Him.

Comments
Post a Comment
The joys of life taste sweeter when they're shared. Please share your joy by leaving me a comment. I love to hear your stories-- the joys as well as the sorrows.
Thanks for reading mine!
--- Bethany