Skip to main content

Thrifty Thursday: Father's day photo op

       Each year Richard gets an updated photo of the kids for his office. As Father's day approaches, I have fun thinkng up clever themes for a photo shoot. (You can see my first attempt here.) 
      This time, we went with a sports theme. I envisioned a shot from behind, the kids lined up, with jersey numbers on their backs. Originally, I thought it would be easy enough for my two older boys to use their soccer uniforms, and then pick up some used jersey's from the thrift store for the remaining five. However, finding the right sizes and styles was a bit tricky, and even at thrift-store prices, a bit too expensive to justify a one-time use. 
       Then inspiration struck - no need for new clothes (or to convince the children to wear an outfit I had picked out). I would simply make a jersey number from masking tape and place it on the back of whichever shirt they wanted to wear! Bingo! 
       I searched for clipart online to use as a reference, then did my best to replicate the style of the numbers with my masking tape. Besides being an easy and inexpensive alternative, this gave me the added bonus of choosing which numbers to use. At first I thought each child could wear the number of their age, but then realized, that would be outdated in another month. Plus, putting a 3 on the newborn's back would be kinda confusing. So we went with birth order instead.
       Once the masking tape numbers were finished, I ordered everyone to put their "jersey" on and line up in front of the garage door. 




      

       I drew different shapes with the sidewalk chalk and assigned each child to a different one. That helped a bit with placement.
       One of the benefits of doing a shot from behind was I didn't have to worry about squinty eyes or forced smiles! (Which was seriously helpful, because one of the kids was in a bad mood at the time!)
       It was tricky, though, to get #6 to keep her back to the camera. She was a bit confused as to why everyone was staring at the garage door. But her big sister solved this problem by chalking something interesting for her to look at.




And BOOM! Team Campbell. (minus 1)



       I then had the kids rummage through the toy bin in the garage to find different sports paraphernalia for their individual shots.

       When you're not facing the wall anymore, there's so many interesting things to look at - other than the camera!










       Once our rookie player woke up from her nap, I was able to get some shots of her as well.










       Thanks to the convenience of digital photography, I was able to upload my favorites and edit them into a fabulous collage, then have the whole thing printed that same day. (I like to use this free online photo editor. I also found it helpful to open it before I took the pictures, in order to get an idea of what kind of shots I should take to fit the style options available.) 



And viola! The finished product:




       I mounted the photo on black cardstock and slipped it inside a large manilla envelope to be presented to our MVP on Father's day.  He was thrilled!

       I sure love this squad. And I'm grateful for my Richard. I think we make a great team.
       
     Frugal fathers for the win!




Comments

Post a Comment

The joys of life taste sweeter when they're shared. Please share your joy by leaving me a comment. I love to hear your stories-- the joys as well as the sorrows.
Thanks for reading mine!

--- Bethany

Popular Posts

Right Here

    The first month of a new year is past.     2014 started off with a bang for me. I love beginnings. I love the clarity and and anticipation involved in mapping out your dreams. I was looking forward to some exciting topics of focus for our homeschool, some intellectual growth with a college statistics class I've enrolled in, and more consistency with a "date night" for me and Richard. I was both excited and concerned after Christmas when Richard told me the Bishop would like to meet with me.      In my church, the leader of the congregation (our Bishop) is the one responsible to extend certain assignments to members. We refer to them as "callings" since he makes the decisions prayerfully, seeking inspiration from the Lord to know who should do what within the ward (or congregation). I'd already been serving as a teacher for a class of children, aged 4-5 years old and was eagerly anticipating the changes of a new year which would place my n...

Under Construction

     Faithful readers, my blog is not all I wish it to be at this time. I have a hundred ideas jostling around inside my head; dreams of what this space could be, what it could offer. But the blogging world is still so new to me. My intentions require patience in their realization. So please forgive this awkward in-between stage as I learn my way around here.       I'd like to invite your feedback and suggestions. Please leave a comment telling me what you'd be interested in seeing on the blog, what features you'd recommend or if you've had trouble viewing it thus far, etc. Don't be shy! Go on and share your opinion.        Thanks for your help, my friends!

Stillwater Wisdom

  "This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson I am a contradiction. Spontaneous and thoughtful. Energetic, yet reserved. Dreamy, though realistic. Bubbly, but at the same time, grounded. I'm sure most of you have felt the same way at times. It makes for some interesting inner dialogue. And it's not about good vs. evil - I'm not referring to the light and dark in each of us. Just the simple quirks of personality which make our lives interesting, though sometimes irritating. You see, I'm not philosiphizing over moral issues so much as attempting to choose the best of the many good things that are at my fingertips. In this information age, the vast opportunities we have can be both a blessing and a curse. Friday is open. Should I take the kids to that new indoor playground to let them release some of that pent-up winter energy? Or maybe we could spend the day inside building a pillow fort? Oh...