Skip to main content

Thrifty Thursday: Jazz for Kids




















       Free concerts are music to my ears - even more so when they are designed with families in mind! I was lucky enough to discover one such concert advertised on BYU's website last year. Even though admission was free, online registration was still required. I scored 7 tickets for the whole family (no ticket required for baby!) to enjoy a Saturday morning of Jazz music.
       The concert hall was crowded with families. We encourage respectful and quiet attention from our children during performances like this, but it was a big stress-reliever, knowing that should any of the little ones grow restless, we'd have a more sympathetic audience this time! Usher's handed out booster seats so we each had a comfortable view of the band. And one added bonus which I love about attending BYU performances, was the opening prayer. I love that it helps my children recognize the source of all our blessings in this life, and teaches them that they can invite and feel the Holy Spirit in the course of their everyday life.
     
       The interactive program was entertaining as well as educational. Steve Call, leader of the BYU Legacy Dixieland Jazz band explained the origins of jazz music and some of the elements that make it unique. They illustrated the difference in rhythm by contrasting a straight version of the main title from Star Wars with a jazz version, which uses a swinging beat and allows for improvisation. They also performed Cantina Music from Star Wars.

       I think my favorite part was when Steve demonstrated how to write your own Blues song by sharing a piece he'd written for his beloved retriever pup, Buddy Golden who, one fateful day, had been stung by a bee. He pointed out the traditional repetitive pattern in blues lyrics and explained that though the subject matter is a sad memory, singing about it makes you feel better. It made me think about using some blues therapy the next time the kids are upset by something.

I want to go outside to play.

Said, I wanna go outside to play.

But Mama says "No, we ain't gonna go,

'cuz it's too cold today!"

       After the performance, the band players played a few encores out in the foyer and children were able to come up and ask them questions about their instruments. 
       I may be biased as a student there, but I highly recommend BYU activities! If you're looking for fun, frugal, family-friendly experiences, check out the calendar on their website. You'll be glad you did.






Comments

Popular Posts

Right Here

    The first month of a new year is past.     2014 started off with a bang for me. I love beginnings. I love the clarity and and anticipation involved in mapping out your dreams. I was looking forward to some exciting topics of focus for our homeschool, some intellectual growth with a college statistics class I've enrolled in, and more consistency with a "date night" for me and Richard. I was both excited and concerned after Christmas when Richard told me the Bishop would like to meet with me.      In my church, the leader of the congregation (our Bishop) is the one responsible to extend certain assignments to members. We refer to them as "callings" since he makes the decisions prayerfully, seeking inspiration from the Lord to know who should do what within the ward (or congregation). I'd already been serving as a teacher for a class of children, aged 4-5 years old and was eagerly anticipating the changes of a new year which would place my n...

Under Construction

     Faithful readers, my blog is not all I wish it to be at this time. I have a hundred ideas jostling around inside my head; dreams of what this space could be, what it could offer. But the blogging world is still so new to me. My intentions require patience in their realization. So please forgive this awkward in-between stage as I learn my way around here.       I'd like to invite your feedback and suggestions. Please leave a comment telling me what you'd be interested in seeing on the blog, what features you'd recommend or if you've had trouble viewing it thus far, etc. Don't be shy! Go on and share your opinion.        Thanks for your help, my friends!

Stillwater Wisdom

  "This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson I am a contradiction. Spontaneous and thoughtful. Energetic, yet reserved. Dreamy, though realistic. Bubbly, but at the same time, grounded. I'm sure most of you have felt the same way at times. It makes for some interesting inner dialogue. And it's not about good vs. evil - I'm not referring to the light and dark in each of us. Just the simple quirks of personality which make our lives interesting, though sometimes irritating. You see, I'm not philosiphizing over moral issues so much as attempting to choose the best of the many good things that are at my fingertips. In this information age, the vast opportunities we have can be both a blessing and a curse. Friday is open. Should I take the kids to that new indoor playground to let them release some of that pent-up winter energy? Or maybe we could spend the day inside building a pillow fort? Oh...