I mentioned that I've been rising earlier in the mornings to walk a mile before my little ones awake. Sometimes I meet up with friends and we chat for the half hour it takes to cover the ground. But mostly, I've walked in solitude. I liked starting off this way. I could go at my own pace, not feel self-conscience about my "exercise attire" (which doubles as my pajamas) and pause to enjoy the scenery, even take a picture or two. I'm relishing that half hour of quiet reflection, a time to collect my thoughts and appreciate the creation of a new day. I'm not wiped out when I get home. I feel energized. The day seems to last longer and I feel a greater sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when my head hits the pillow at night.
My first morning out on the path I noticed shards of glass littering one area. I carefully stepped around them, lamenting the fact that someone had left such a mess. The next morning I approached the spot from the opposite direction. I noticed a fruit snack wrapper crumpled on the wet grass and stooped to pick it up. Then a larger plastic bag caught my eye and I retrieved that as well. A few steps further along I encountered the broken glass again. How fortunate, I thought, that this time I had something I could use to collect it. I set down my water bottle and gingerly began picking up the shards and tossing them into the bag. Getting closer to the mess, it soon became apparent that this would not be a quick stop. The more I cleaned up, the more shards I discovered! I wanted to sweep the debris into the bag and be done with it, move on with my pleasant exercise. But I knew doing so would most likely result in injuring myself and end up creating more problems and taking even longer. So mustering my patience, I hunkered down to the business of cleaning up the path. As I worked, I grew contemplative and a number of parables occurred to me.
The first came as I considered my motivation. The previous morning I'd merely tsk-tsked the situation, reasoning that I could not stop to take care of it since I had to get home before my baby awoke. Plus, I had no way of gathering the glass. And really, wasn't it the responsibility of the person who'd made the mess in the first place? This time, I'd found the plastic bag first. Even though the bag was litter itself, I was grateful to have found it, as it allowed me to take care of the mess. And the thought came to me, How many blessings in my life have gone unacknowledged because instead of recognizing them as tools to help me remedy a situation, I saw them only as useless pieces of garbage strewn along my path? (For those of you who have read "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, this idea is illustrated quite nicely by the story of the fleas.)
The longer it took to clean up the glass, the more lonely I became. I remember wishing someone would come along and help me. I knew plenty of others used the path. Surely it was just a matter of time before someone else turned up. But 5 minutes turned to 10, and the path remained empty. I wondered, How many others feel they are left to meet their challenges alone? Are there those of my fellowmen that are bearing the weight of a responsibility that I might help to carry?
Feelings of loneliness aside, I faced another problem - a longtime internal struggle for me. I will admit that I'm a bit of a show-off. Performing work without recognition is not appealing to me. Too often, I find my focus in my work is on impressing others. Working on that deserted path gave me pause for another reason. With no one there to applaud my efforts, what would I do? Would I give myself whole-heartedly to the task at hand anyway? Or would I justify myself in cutting corners, leaving the job only half done? I tell ya, this preoccupation with what others will think of me is a real stumbling block of mine. I even recall fretting that if I spent too much time cleaning up a mess I didn't make, my husband would wonder what took me so long. Heaven forbid Richard should think I was a slow walker! Sheez Louise. Get over yourself already. . . self.
Ahem.
Well friends, I determined to follow the old adage that, "Any job worth doing is worth doing right." I plucked every fragment of glass I could find off the pathway. And do you know, though no mortal eyes were there to witness my heroics, yet I felt pleased with my choice and, coincidentally, I did earn a reward! Standing once again to finish my walk, I witnessed the path's illumination as the sun stretched out its morning rays, like melted butter, spilling over the horizon.
With Autumn approaching, the mornings are getting colder and darker. I may not be able to continue with my morning walks much longer. I'm grateful for the lessons I've learned along the pathway. I trust they'll serve me well on the path of life. With school starting back up - both for me and for my kids - I foresee plenty of potential road hazards up ahead! But I also trust there will be some tender mercies and moments of insight sprinkled throughout to rejuvenate and reassure me along the way.
I'm looking forward to it!








What a great reminder today. You are such a good person. Thanks for sharing your inner dialogue. I can so relate.
ReplyDeleteYou're too kind, Arianne. I'm glad you can relate!
ReplyDelete