Skip to main content

Lucky Me





       Children are pleading for my attention, dinner preparations are stalled, I'm staring at the computer screen with my head in my hands as I realize there's another page of 7 more questions to complete for my homework that's due in 20 minutes. But my class starts in 15 minutes and at this time in the evening, it usually takes me that long to drive there. Then add another 7 minutes to walk from the parking lot to my classroom. It's the second week of classes and already I'm toast. This is how I spell "S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D  O-U-T".
       Plus, it's raining out.
       So I fumble through the homework questions as best as I can, stuff the textbook into my backpack, throw on a sweatshirt and head out the door, grumbling all the way. In my mind I could hear a calmer, more optimistic me trying to reason with myself.
       "Okay, so you're late to class. At least you got the homework done. Feeling angry or discouraged isn't going to get you to class any earlier. In fact, it'll make things worse. So keep your chin up. Have faith." But if anyone had been in the passenger's seat, they'd have heard me ranting, "I can't do this! At least, I can't do it well. And what's the point in doing a job if you can't do it right? Huh?"
       I was grateful for the commute to have some time to cool off. By the time I arrived on campus, I'd almost convinced myself to have a better attitude. It wasn't even drizzling anymore, so I didn't need the umbrella to make it up the hill. I walked along the sidewalk and after scowling for a bit decided to make a conscious effort to acknowledge those that passed me with smile. I managed a kind of weary, half-smile, which I'm not sure wasn't worse than the scowling.
       But then I noticed some acorns littering the sidewalk. I couldn't tell you why exactly they caught my attention. Only that Autumn is my favorite time of year and since I was a child I've felt an affinity for these little nutty nodules. I stooped to pick one up, rolled it between my fingers, held it gingerly in my pocket as I continued on.
       What if it's a magic acorn?
       I don't know where the thought came from, but it brought a sort of hopeful, comforting feeling, so I let it linger.
       This acorn will bring you luck. Just watch and see. Something unexpected will happen. I smiled to myself, thinking how "lucky" it would be to find out that my professor was also late that day. Maybe I hadn't already missed the first 15 minutes of the lecture.  I ascended the last flight of stairs and braced myself as I opened the door to my classroom. And the most amazing thing happened. The first thing I noticed was music was playing. (The Beatles, "Hey, Jude" to be exact.) The students all seemed in a relaxed state, situating themselves into their seats, chatting with one another. And my teacher was shuffling back and forth at the front of the room, making final preparations to begin the lecture. With a furrowed brow, I asked a student on the row behind me, "Doesn't class start at 5:30?"
       "Naw. We start at 6."
       "Wow. I thought I was 15 minutes late."
       "Nope. Looks like today is your lucky day!"
       Looks like it.
       I really enjoyed the lecture. Not that I understood all of it. The concepts were a bit much to wrap my head around. But I felt reassured when the professor indicated that this lecture contained some of the most difficult material of the semester and if we felt lost or overwhelmed than that was to be expected.
       After class, walking back to the car, I felt lighter, rejuvenated. And a phrase came into my mind. ". . . but be believing." You can find these words both in the New Testament and in the Book of Mormon. Here's the rest from one reference, Mormon 9:27.
       "O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart. . ."
       I reached into my pocket and fingered the acorn again.
       Yes, I do believe in magic. I call it "miracles".


Comments

  1. This piece is wonderful. One of your best. I'll be smiling all day, thinking of it. Watching the ground for acorns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) The smiley emoticon doesn't accurately reflect my happiness at your kind words. I'll be smiling all day thinking of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The joys of life taste sweeter when they're shared. Please share your joy by leaving me a comment. I love to hear your stories-- the joys as well as the sorrows.
Thanks for reading mine!

--- Bethany

Popular Posts

Thrifty Thursday: DIY Referee Costume

     My kids, like most, love to play dress up (though my teen might prefer the term, "cosplay"), and they do it on a regular basis. So they're usually planning Halloween costumes well in advance of October. And by that I mean that while they are enjoying their candy on Nov. 1st, they start discussing what they want to be for next year!      Last September, when our 9-year-old son said he wanted to go as a referee, we decided to order an inexpensive costume through Amazon. Halloween was drawing nearer. Princess costumes arrived for two of our girls, but somehow, the referee package went missing. Only a week left before Halloween. Time to get thrifty.      I'm no seamstress. Lucky for us, our neighbors who were moving out had just gifted us a collection of long-sleeved shirts in assorted colors. There was a white one in his size. I purchased a couple rolls of black Duck Tape and got to work.       I didn...

Sacred Space

Reflections on Wisdom Sits in Places by Keith H. Basso In Western Apache culture, places bear the names given to them by the ancestors. These names are often straight forward in their descriptions, but always imbued with deep meaning. The elders of Apache society instruct their youth to drink deeply from the wisdom of these places. Wisdom is like water. As one apache said, "You can't live long without water and you can't live a long time without wisdom. You need to drink both." Certain places then, are like oases of knowledge from which each generation may quench their thirst. Often, the sacredness of these place-worlds is not recognized until after repeated experience with them. It takes great faith to act with reverence even when one's surrounding seem not to merit such actions. We must beleive that simple tasks, when repeated in an intentional, ceremonial fashion, can hallow even the the most derelect environments. This is the process we r...

High Hopes

Emily Dickinson called hope " the thing with feathers ". This time of year, nearly every time I'm out for a walk, I can find empty eggshells. The bright turquoise of the robin's shells stand out against the dampened soil. I always feel a surge of excitement when I spot one. I like to collect them for our Nature Nook at home.  But lately, my delight has quickly turned to sorrow as I've discovered several eggs, cracked, but with baby birds still inside. Yesterday, I even found a dead baby bird on our driveway. It makes me heartsick, seeing these lifeless, tiny shapes. As the chatter and songs of a dozen other birds fill the air, my heart swells with a bittersweet ache. I relish the music that surrounds me, but I mourn for those voices that are lost.  Spring is a season of new beginnings. Witnessing death at this time seems like a cruel irony. Like a bird struck down in mid flight, it can cause you to question that budding optimism you felt only moments...