Skip to main content

In My Own Backyard

   Buying your first home is a lot like getting married. There are the headaches of particulars to work out: packing, organizing, closing costs and interest rates may be analogous to arranging for the reception, paying for the ring and addressing all those invitations. Yet, in the end, it's still tremendously exciting and so devastatingly romantic! Our preparations for moving into our first home reminded me a lot of the dreamy anticipation that preceded our wedding. Some of our goals were quite lofty and would require a good amount of time to be realized. Others were simpler pleasures that required little more effort on our part than to just be enjoyed.
   One dream I held, nestled deep in my heart. So small and simple, I hadn't even realized it was there until the tentative Spring sunshine began to thaw Winter's frosty grasp. Driving along a pasture road, or strolling past a neighbor's garden, I'd feel it: a strangely familiar longing. The fragrant breeze would envelope me and I'd remember: Lilacs. Ever since I was a girl, these delicate bushes have held a special magic for me. Every time I'd see one swaying its lacy clusters of purple blossoms, I'd feel homesick. It's difficult to explain, since I don't recall ever having a lilac bush growing up. But once they started blooming in my neighborhood, my heart remembered, even if my brain could not. The sight of them stirred that lovely aching inside that reminded me, "You've always wanted lilacs."
    Then the habitual debate began within me. The "Yes, but. . ." dialogue between my mind and heart where I try to resign myself to more practical ways of thinking. How much would it cost? Where would I plant it? What if it died before it even bloomed?
    The deliberation went on for a day or two. One day my son came in from playing outside clutching a tiny plum-colored flower in his fingers. Its four petals were only barely opening and the blossom was pointed at the base (which he thought made it look menacing, and thus appropriate for a boy to play with). Ever the curious and concerned mother, I asked him where he'd found it. (Could it be poisonous?) "In the backyard," came the reply. Strange, I thought. I don't remember seeing any flowers like that out there. But dinner was ready and I brushed the thought aside for the moment. The next day, I had a hopeful hunch. Silently, I slipped out the side door and around the back of the house. And there, on there far side of our lovely new home, I discovered that I am the owner of not one, but two blooming lilac bushes! The smaller one has the pale, lavender-colored flowers I'm familiar with. But the larger bush is bursting with bunches of darker purple blossoms, like bunches of grapes on the vine. I don't think I've ever seen anything more beautiful.




























     The next two days my oldest daughter and I had our scripture study outside, next to the lilac bushes. I wasted no time clipping several sprigs to bring into the house. Though short-lived in the vase, they imparted a heavenly fragrance that filled the whole house!
      A few days ago when I was again outside by myself, I looked fondly at the bushes. My heart filled with gratitude and I wrapped my arms around their branches, each in turn. "Thank you!" I told them. "Thank you for blooming for me, for giving your all to make this world so glorious and sweet!"

      To think, all this time, my hearts longing was right outside. In my own backyard.

Comments

  1. This is so wonderful. God delights to own and bless us. I love picturing those bushes waiting for you like a secret. (I love lilacs too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arianne, you capture the essence of my feelings so accurately. Thanks for commenting!

    Heather, so wonderful to hear from you! Please stop by often!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The joys of life taste sweeter when they're shared. Please share your joy by leaving me a comment. I love to hear your stories-- the joys as well as the sorrows.
Thanks for reading mine!

--- Bethany

Popular Posts

Right Here

    The first month of a new year is past.     2014 started off with a bang for me. I love beginnings. I love the clarity and and anticipation involved in mapping out your dreams. I was looking forward to some exciting topics of focus for our homeschool, some intellectual growth with a college statistics class I've enrolled in, and more consistency with a "date night" for me and Richard. I was both excited and concerned after Christmas when Richard told me the Bishop would like to meet with me.      In my church, the leader of the congregation (our Bishop) is the one responsible to extend certain assignments to members. We refer to them as "callings" since he makes the decisions prayerfully, seeking inspiration from the Lord to know who should do what within the ward (or congregation). I'd already been serving as a teacher for a class of children, aged 4-5 years old and was eagerly anticipating the changes of a new year which would place my n...

Under Construction

     Faithful readers, my blog is not all I wish it to be at this time. I have a hundred ideas jostling around inside my head; dreams of what this space could be, what it could offer. But the blogging world is still so new to me. My intentions require patience in their realization. So please forgive this awkward in-between stage as I learn my way around here.       I'd like to invite your feedback and suggestions. Please leave a comment telling me what you'd be interested in seeing on the blog, what features you'd recommend or if you've had trouble viewing it thus far, etc. Don't be shy! Go on and share your opinion.        Thanks for your help, my friends!

Stillwater Wisdom

  "This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson I am a contradiction. Spontaneous and thoughtful. Energetic, yet reserved. Dreamy, though realistic. Bubbly, but at the same time, grounded. I'm sure most of you have felt the same way at times. It makes for some interesting inner dialogue. And it's not about good vs. evil - I'm not referring to the light and dark in each of us. Just the simple quirks of personality which make our lives interesting, though sometimes irritating. You see, I'm not philosiphizing over moral issues so much as attempting to choose the best of the many good things that are at my fingertips. In this information age, the vast opportunities we have can be both a blessing and a curse. Friday is open. Should I take the kids to that new indoor playground to let them release some of that pent-up winter energy? Or maybe we could spend the day inside building a pillow fort? Oh...