Statistics.
Just the word is enough to make some people cringe. Mark Twain is reported to have said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." But after finishing an introductory course this past semester, I can honestly say I've gained a new appreciation for the subject. I was nervous about the class in the beginning. I had't met anyone who had fond memories of their Stats class. But I was pleasantly surprised to discover an instructor whose enthusiasm for the subject was endearing, if not contagious. I found myself thinking differently about things, applying equations and concepts I'd previously seen as strictly scientific, but suddenly seemed so appropriate, helpful, and. . . dare I say - fun! Have you ever tried formulating null and alternative hypotheses to justify an opinion you have which contradicts popular belief? Or plotting data to measure the correlation between bedtimes and crankiness-levels among young children? Such activities can be very intellectually stimulating as well as gratifying -- especially if the payoff is a passing grade.
I took my final exam this last week and felt relief course through my study-weary body as I left with a score of 83%. Combined with the other exams and assignments, this was enough to earn me a B in the class. Feeling thankful and triumphant, I drove home to celebrate this victory with my sweetheart.
We'd arranged for an awesome babysitter who cheerfully agreed to watching our 5 children for about 6 hours! And in a very rare opportunity, we rode the train up to the city for a rock concert. We went to see Switchfoot, one of my husband's favorite bands.
Totally. Awesome.
Just the word is enough to make some people cringe. Mark Twain is reported to have said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." But after finishing an introductory course this past semester, I can honestly say I've gained a new appreciation for the subject. I was nervous about the class in the beginning. I had't met anyone who had fond memories of their Stats class. But I was pleasantly surprised to discover an instructor whose enthusiasm for the subject was endearing, if not contagious. I found myself thinking differently about things, applying equations and concepts I'd previously seen as strictly scientific, but suddenly seemed so appropriate, helpful, and. . . dare I say - fun! Have you ever tried formulating null and alternative hypotheses to justify an opinion you have which contradicts popular belief? Or plotting data to measure the correlation between bedtimes and crankiness-levels among young children? Such activities can be very intellectually stimulating as well as gratifying -- especially if the payoff is a passing grade.
I took my final exam this last week and felt relief course through my study-weary body as I left with a score of 83%. Combined with the other exams and assignments, this was enough to earn me a B in the class. Feeling thankful and triumphant, I drove home to celebrate this victory with my sweetheart.
We'd arranged for an awesome babysitter who cheerfully agreed to watching our 5 children for about 6 hours! And in a very rare opportunity, we rode the train up to the city for a rock concert. We went to see Switchfoot, one of my husband's favorite bands.
Totally. Awesome.
![]() |
| "Say It Like You Mean It" - the opening number |
![]() |
| Credit give where credit's due - They are a Christian rock group, after all. |
![]() |
| Jon Foreman, lead singer |
![]() |
| Tim Foreman, bass guitarist and younger brother to Jon. |
![]() |
| Here comes Jon, out into the crowd. |
![]() |
| Singing one of their most well-known songs, "Dare You to Move". |
![]() |
| We loved the way he interacted with the audience. I loved the energy in the place! |
![]() |
![]() |
| One-two-three-four-five! Performing one of my favorites, "Who We Are". |
![]() |
| Jon and Jerome Fontamillas doing an acoustic intro to "Meant To Live". |
![]() |
| Several time during the night, audience member passed up offerings to the performers, including this homemade banner. |
![]() |
| "Where I Belong" |
![]() |
| Here's the band singing an encore request, "Hello Hurricane". |
![]() |
| Awww yeah! So glad I got this shot. You can see a video of this same shot that the band posted on Instagram here. |
![]() |
| Thank you Salt Lake City! Good night! And remember, "Love Alone is Worth the Fight." |
The funny thing is, just like my Statistics class, I had some reservations about going to this concert. There were plenty of things to worry about - the baby, the cost, the late hour. But I'm so glad I set those worries aside and dove on in anyway. We had a blast. And now I have two new passions:
Switchfoot, and Statistics!



























Coolest date ever. And your kids are so cute. I'm glad you linked to the music. Gideon and I are rocking out right now listening to it.
ReplyDeletep.s. Your new header is your best yet. Beautiful.
ReplyDelete