I got wind of a chalk art competition over at the Shops at Riverwoods and thought the children might enjoy seeing the artists at their work. We'd found a wonderful
book by Bill Thomson which inspired us to create our own chalk drawings.
 |
| The squirrel (on the left) may have been inspired by this incredible music video from Coldplay |
 |
| Stoplights and crosswalk |
We attended the festival, and at first I was a bit disappointed. Not that the drawings weren't impressive, but, as my husband said, there was a lot of artistic ability without much creativity. We saw mostly Disney characters and Superheroes.
 |
| I'll admit, Iron Man was pretty awesome. |
Things started to get a little more interesting. . .
But when I saw this one, it took my breath away:
 |
| The brunette on the left is April and she's the one responsible for this gorgeous work of art. |
I was absolutely enthralled with the drawing and hovered around it until I could speak with the artist. I've met a kindred spirit! It was like talking to your mother, your closest girlfriend and your idolized celebrity, all rolled into one. Her art touched me deeply. I felt like shouting, "Yes! At last, an accurate depiction of the glory we call motherhood." My reaction delighted April who said as a mother of eight, that was just the kind of response she'd hoped for.
I don't think my photos do it justice, but leave me a comment and share your response to this and the other chalk drawings. What do YOU think?
I think you need to enter the competition next year seeing as you have tons of both artistic ability and creativity.
ReplyDeleteThank you, darling. But I think I'll stick to the driveway gallery!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I LOVE the mama and baby art. Oh, my. That artist is a kindred spirit fore sure.
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting, Arianne! When I saw this artwork, I wished you were there with me. I knew you'd feel the same way.
ReplyDelete